Victor Vermorel (1848-1927) moved to Liergues, purchasing the château and its vineyards, which he replanted with vines grafted using the technique developed by Victor Pulliat (a Beaujolais ampelographer – vine specialist). He renamed it Château de l’Éclair, after his invention, a back mounted sprayer called Éclair (created in 1888) and his daughter, Victorine, who was electrocuted in a bath at the château. He died in 1927.